Phefelia Nez was born in Keam Canyon, AZ and raised on Hopi Partition Land in Big Mountain, AZ. She is married to Jonathan Nez and mother of two children, Christopher and Alexander Nez. She is the daughter of David and Julia Herbert. She grew up in a traditional Hogan without modern amenities and has always spent time outdoors tending to livestock, the corn and vegetable field. Having ample outdoor space, she enjoyed a childhood of running, hiking and biking. Her favorite hobby growing up was reading and journaling.
Phefelia Nez earned Bachelor of Science degrees in Political Science (with an emphasis in Comparative and International Politics) and Criminal Justice from Northern Arizona University. She also has 27 credit hours in the Master of Public Administration at NAU. She is also an alumni of ASU Lodestar Center’s Generation Next Nonprofit Leadership Academy Class V.
- First Lady
- Second Lady
- Board of Director, Navajo Youth Empowerment Services
- Board of Director & Executive Director, Shonto Community Development Corporation
- Board of Director, Shonto Economic Development Corporation
- Adjunct Faculty, Dine’ College Tuba City
- Program Coordinator, Dine’ College Tuba City
- Assistant & Lead Instructor, NAU Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals – Environmental Education Outreach Program
- Steering Committee Member, Shonto Community Governance